Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Birthday Celebration = Kitchen Calamity

It has been a little over a week since my last blog. Ordinarily I would like to blog more frequently but it was a busy week and I chose to use my time doing other things. Some possible topics that I would have covered, however, are the super bowl, a rodeo, or more basketball. Regarding the super bowl I would have mentioned that the officiating was horrid, Bruce Springsteen was downright atrocious, and the commercials were mindless. The game, though, turned out to be pretty exciting. But that is old news now and not the purpose of this blog. The subject of this blog will be my girlfriend's birthday.

My girlfriend of just over a year and a half had her 21st birthday yesterday. Her name is Olivia. I like her name - its original but not bizarre. There is much more to her that I like than just her name but I'll spare anybody who might actually be reading this. In the weeks leading up to it when the subject of her birthday came up I would simply say, "on your birthday I'm kicking you out." And I did. Yesterday at about 5 o'clock I kicked her out of her own apartment. Then I took over her kitchen and went to work. I then proceeded to make more messes than that kitchen has probably ever seen, caused the smoke alarm to go off which I solved by pulling out the battery and opening the backdoor, and served an elegant, manly yet romantic dinner in about an hour. I cooked two pan-seared oven broiled rib-eyes topped with bacon and wild honey barbecue sauce accompanied by mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon bits, oven toasted french bread, and a dinner salad. It sounds scrumptious but that kitchen was chaos! I now have a new respect for people who can prepare an entire meal at once. There was no time to breathe. It was like juggling a beach ball, a flaming torch, a poodle, and a machete knowing that if anything was dropped you would go starving. Bad analogy.

Nevertheless, everything came out well and Olivia really enjoyed it. For dessert we had a red velvet birthday cake on which I spelled out Happy Birth Day Olivia. Yes, birth day was two words because I ran out of room on the top line. As for the gift, I got her an Ed Hardy perfume set with body lotion and a purse perfume or something like that (I'm not well versed in describing things of that nature). What I do know is that I thought it smelled excellent. Olivia thought so too and really appreciated it. I sincerely enjoyed putting on this birthday celebration for her. In the future, though, it will only be special occasions like this that I cook anything besides meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment